Sunday, January 29, 2017

The Play's the Thing...


And it's elementary school play time again!  Actually, this play should have occurred back in November, but the teacher-in-charge realized that they had not had enough practice time for it to be ready at that time, so it was pushed back to January.  Oh thank heavens!!  I was sick as a dog during November with pregnancy nausea.  Now that I'm feeling much better, I was actually able to enjoy the show.

Meriel was the drama star from our family for this show.  It was actually the same play that Rheanna had done back when she was in elementary school, so I already had the poodle skirt made for her costume.  Score!  Meriel is seen in the above picture during her big moment with the spotlight upon her.  She is playing a nerdy student ("Isn't it great that I have real glasses that I can wear to play a nerd, Mom?"  "Yes, honey.  When we got you those glasses, I thought to myself how wonderful it was that you were near-sighted and needed expensive glasses so that you could one day play a nerd in a future play with authentic glasses.  Not like those other poser-kids with good eyesight who had to go and get cheap, fake glasses.  I pity them.").  She is rattling off a rather long Shel Silverstein poem with perfect precision to stand in contrast to the girl after her who plays a forgetful student who completely forgot her poem.  This is the poem she recited which I don't necessarily intend for you to read, but merely scroll through it and be dutifully impressed by it's length:

True Story by Shel Silverstein

This morning I jumped on my horse
And went out for a ride,
And some wild outlaws chased me
And they shot me in the side.
So I crawled into a wildcat's cave
To find a place to hide,
But some pirates found me sleeping there,
And soon they had me tied
To a pole and built a fire
Under me - I almost cried
Till a mermaid came and cut me loose
And begged to be my bride,
So I said I'd come back Wednesday
But I must admit I lied.
Then I ran into a jungle swamp
But I forgot my guide
And I stepped into some quicksand,
And no matter how I tried
I couldn't get out, until I met
A water snake named Clyde,
Who pulled me to some cannibals
Who planned to have me fried.
But an eagle came and swooped me up
And through the air we flied,
But he dropped me in a boiling lake
A thousand miles wide.
And you'll never guess what I did then--
I DIED.

I wish I'd had the presence of mind to take a video instead of a picture.  I was so unprepared!  Unlike Meriel who recited the poem flawlessly.  She also remembered to go to all of the practices this year.  We've REALLY struggled with that in years past.  Awwww...she can be so awesome sometimes.




In other news, Mitchell had a birthday this month...

Isn't he cute!  He's super-excited about his cream-puff dessert.  He also got 2nd place in the Pinewood Derby yesterday.  He managed to pull that off even after we found out at 5 o'clock Wednesday evening that the weigh-in was taking place in an hour when we thought it would be happening Friday evening.  The wheels weren't even on his car yet.  Daddy and Mitchell managed to get it ready in time, though.  Oh, the craziness of life.

And in other, other news I got to enjoy a women's church meeting with my mother- and sisters-in-law which featured Wendy Nelson, the delightful wife of Pres. Russell M. Nelson.  Rheanna and Ian also got to hear the two of them in a youth meeting, along with other general authorities.  We were told the doors would not open for the women's meeting till 6 pm, which was an hour before the meeting started.  We were there at 6:06 and the chapel and multicultural hall were already full.  We ended up in the Primary room.  Hmmm...I'm suspecting foul play.  Or we were being punished because I joked in a planning text to the afore-mentioned family members that I would trip a certain sweet 90-plus woman from our ward in order to get a good seat.  Sorry to everyone who went with me.  My wickedness held you back.  It was still a wonderful meeting.

And in other, other, other news, here is a picture of my drama queen Meriel NOT being awesome and secretly stealing my phone in order to take funny pictures of herself.  You brought this on yourself, Meriel....and you're probably pretty pleased about it.






No comments: