Sunday, April 6, 2014

No more staples, let's have a party and then analyze how I fit 4 boys in 1 room!

So much to talk about but nothing to say?  We'll see . . .

So I took Declan in to the pediatrician to get his staples out.  Cassidi thought the visit was for her.  She cried when we were taken back to room #2, she cried when the assistant came into the room, she cried when the doctor came in.  I wasn't able to concentrate on calming Declan at all because I had to hold tight to her.  Way to make it all about you, little drama queen.  But Declan got through it okay, and the doctor was really tickled when he paused as we were leaving, turned around and said, "Thanks-k, for taking the staples out of my head."  Remember, he adds an extra 'k' sound to the ends of some words.

I am now allowed to say that the attempt to master the making of pitas was so I could make 8 batches of them for a surprise anniversary party for my in-laws.  It turns out that 8 batches is too many pitas, but we managed to use up the extras already, not counting the ones I left sitting in a serving tray at the party.  Hmmm . . .  I wonder what happened to those.  The party was the brain-child of their daughter, Kathryn, and we had a lot of fun, but I myself did not get ANY pictures.  We do, however, have a lot of paper pennants and circle streamers now available for rent, if anyone has need of them.

So on to fitting 4 boys in one room.  I was checking out the features of this blogging site and noticed that I could see how many hits each post got.  My most popular post by far is the one titled Too Mucha Lucha talking about my constantly wrestling boys (the wrestling has not stopped, by the way, and now Mitchell has joined them--it drives me CRAZY).  So apparently one secret to getting a lot of traffic on your blog is to throw in a reference to Mexican wrestling as well as the name of a cartoon about Mexican wrestling.  I'm sorry to all those who stumbled on my post only to discover that it contained the ramblings of a California housewife with rowdy children.  Yawn.

The second secret to enticing people to your blog is to hint that you have found a secret to home organization that allows you to fit more things into a space than it can physically hold.  Again, I'm afraid I might have disappointed many people, because several posts ago I merely asked how you fit four boys into one room, but I never actually answered the question.  I got lots of hits on this post so I thought I would revisit this topic to give those poor people some closure.  I'm thoughtful that way.

I had to figure out how to add another set of bunk beds into a room that already housed one set of bunk beds, a floor-to-ceiling toy shelf, and a dresser.  My solution was to remove the dresser.

Here you can see the two bunkbeds:


Here you can see the mega toy shelf that used to be where the brown bunkbed now stands and which now occupies the space left by the dresser:


Here you can see a very annoyed Keller who kept asking me why I was taking pictures:


And finally, here you can see the plastic under-bed boxes that I got to take the place of the dresser.  There are four under each bed and they house pants, pajamas, socks and underwear.  The shirts are in the closet:


I had told myself that I was just going to take the pictures and not pick up the room in any way because I like to be real, and more especially because I just didn't wanna.  But as I crouched to take this last toy-strewn picture, shame and peer-pressure intervened.  I just want so much for my house to look just like all the other pretty, pristine houses I see pictured in people's blogs when they show off their rooms, so I gave in and picked up the toys that were all over the ground.  I'm sorry for being fake, so let me just tell you now that we still have too much stuff in this room and it is often a mess.  No amount of organizational genius will change the fact that this room belongs to four boys.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations on your organizing skills. You must have gotten them from me. I was prepared to fit four in a room like my parents did with me and my siblings. I did fit 3 in a room a few times. I am finishing up redoing my kitchen floor. I planted a row of lilacs that I named for my girls and granddaughters. Spring is here. I'm glad Declan has his staples out and we will come and see you soon!